We pride ourselves on providing our community with timely, high quality and valuable content from some of the best minds in the industry. To maintain these standards we ask our contributors to adhere to the following guidelines:
- All posts must be at least 300 words and may contain relevant images, videos, and outbound links that improve the overall experience of our community. Irrelevant hyperlinks will be removed and submissions containing keyword stuffing will be rejected. Note: All links must naturally fit into the sentence/article and provide value to the reader. Posts may contain ONE affiliate link and should also contain a link back to your original post. For more information, see Linking Guidelines below.
- Posts may not be promotional or advertorial. We do not publish company-specific news, press releases, or content reading similarly to a press release. Contributors are welcome to include a relevant CTA at the end of their posts. This may be either image or text-based (1-2 sentences).
- Each Contributor will be responsible for uploading their own excerpt posts into our website dashboard, adding two pictures (one vertical and one horizontal) and the link back to your website at the end of the excerpt.
- Pictures should be Vertical 600x900 and Horizontal 1200x630
Your articles should be able to fit into at least one of the following categories:
What counts as an acceptable CTA:
- A download for some sort of content resource (guide, report, white paper, eBook, etc.)
- Registration for an event (webinar or live event)
- A free demo (must link to signup page)
What does not count as an acceptable CTA:
- A call to visit a company website
- A call to follow the company on social media, including social profile links
- A call to subscribe to email newsletters and other related subscriptions
- A call to contact a company, including all forms of contact information
- Author bios for individual contributors should be placed in the user profile and may not be included within the text of the post itself. Be sure you completely fill out your author bio in the USER AREA with a picture and relevant social media accounts to receive the full benefit of this area.
- Please have your posts submitted in a ready-to-publish state consistent with our existing content when you submit them for final review and PLACE IT IN PENDING STATUS. While we review each post and may adjust formatting as needed, posts requiring heavy editing may be rejected.
- For the best SEO results, you should summarize or rewrite your original content using a different title and URL from your original post. Old Paths Homesteading may change the title and URL to fit our company guidelines.
- Authors submitting posts manually are responsible for checking the status of their posts to see if there are any edits required, as well as for making those edits and resubmitting the posts. Please note that when edits are needed on any submission to make them meet our guidelines, it will take longer for those posts to publish.
- All contributors are responsible for the originality and accuracy of their submissions. Any contributor found to be plagiarizing any percentage of his or her content will be subject to an investigation of his or her entire body of work. If found guilty of plagiarism, the offending author will be banned from the community with all content removed.
What counts as plagiarism (this list is not exhaustive):
- Copying another person’s work and submitting it as your own, word-for-word.
- Copying another person’s work and changing some words or phrases.
- Copying any part of another person’s work, whether changing words or not.
- “Spinning” another person’s work. https://www.energise.co.nz/blog/search-engine-optimisation/what-is-article-spinning/
- Using another person’s idea as your own, including the progression, flow, and main points of a post, examples, images, etc.
- Copying content from any website bot your own, whether an author is given or not.
- Content should be relevant to our site.
- Quotes should serve a purpose within the post and not be used simply to get a link back to a company page. We will remove thin quotes and their accompanying links.
- We may syndicate the content published on Old Paths Homesteading to third parties such as Yahoo! News, Bing News, and Google News. Please proofread and edit your posts carefully before submitting, as they syndicate the version originally published on our site. We cannot edit or remove posts once they are live via syndication, and we do not have the ability to edit or remove posts syndicated to external sites.
- Please allow two weeks for posts to go live. All article publication and editing is done at the discretion of Old Paths Homesteading.
- No more than 3 links should point back to any domain. While lots of internal links make sense on your site, on ours, they can come across as being spammy. We may interlink with other Old Paths Homesteading posts if they are relevant.
- Relevant articles and blog posts
- Research or data
- Resources that will genuinely benefit the reader and make sense in the context of the post
- Link back to your original article
- You can include one affiliate link (Amazon, a course you have, an email series on the topic, etc) in the body of the post. We will not strip your affiliate links, but keep them intact.
- More than one affiliate link
- One’s own company links (homepage, About Us, Contact, Prices, Products, etc.)
- Product/service/pricing pages
- Category/tag pages
- Company social profile links — please place these in your profile instead.
- No link building. If we believe that you are contributing content for the sole purpose of building links for yourself or others, we will either ask for such links to be removed or simply not publish the post.
- Please do not use repeat links or repeat keywords/anchor text.
- No keyword-rich linking.
- We reserve the right to remove or nofollow any link at our discretion.
If you are submitting a post in which any link must be included, it is likely not going to be a good fit for us, as that would constitute as sponsored content. Please be prepared for any included link to be removed.
Quick Tips for Manual Submissions
- If you need to leave a draft and come back to it, leave the post in draft status (Be sure to transfer the post to “pending” status when it’s ready!)
- If the post was originally published elsewhere, please include a line at the very end that links back to the original.
- Please carefully double-check everything prior to submitting the post. Syndicated Posts cannot be taken down or edited once they are live!
- Choose a category and tag from those that are already in the system. Do not add a category or tag of your own. If your post does not seem to fit into an established category or tag, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for ideas.
Please note: Submitting a post does not guarantee that the post will be published. Should your post not be published, please see the editing notes for opportunities to correct and resubmit, and review our content guidelines.
These guidelines are subject to change at any time. Contributors are responsible for making themselves aware of changes and adhering to them.
Disclaimer: Your request to create a contributor account constitutes an agreement to these posting guidelines. Failure to follow these guidelines may result in your contributor access being revoked.