Thought you should know. We link to products and services that we love from time to time. Some of these links we have an affiliate relationship with. What does that mean? We may make a small percentage from any purchases you make, but don't worry, you won't pay even a penny more.
Easy and delicious, this homemade crock-pot apple butter will be your favorite this fall. Enjoy as an accompaniment to bread, muffins and other pastries!
Apple butter has to be one of my absolute favorite fall treats. It really can be used on so many things: biscuits, toast, pancakes…by itself…Really though, I love it! I think the best part is that it’s also just so easy to make.
Fall is apple season and what better time to celebrate fall than to make this scrumptious accompaniment.
Here’s what you will need:
~5lbs of Apples – pick tart apples you use for pie making. (I used Jonagolds and Jazz)
~1 Tablespoon of Cinnamon
~1/4 Teaspoon of Cloves
~1/2 Teaspoon of Nutmeg
~1 Cup of Brown Sugar
~1/4 Cup of Raw Sugar
~1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
~A pinch of salt
- Core, peel and slice all of your apples. This is going to take a lot of time. I would really suggest picking up an amazing apple corer. They aren’t too pricey and save you a ton of time and effort.
- Place all the apples into a crockpot.
- Add your brown sugar, raw sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt. Mix it all together until all your apples are evenly coated.
- Cook on low for 10 hours. Mix the apple butter a few times because it allows for even cooking, especially if your crock-pot gets a little too warm.
- Remove the top of your crockpot the last hour or so to allow some of the water to evaporate and the apple butter to thicken.
- After 10 hours, your apples will basically be mush but may need a little help. Use an emulsion blender to blend all the apples to the same consistency.
Feel free to use the waterbath canning method, this as the acidity from the apples and the sugar is high enough!
If you want more information on apple butter, feel free to check out my article in length, Simple and Homemade Apple Butter. You’ll find a step, by step approach to the recipe.